It's September 1957. Owned and operated by Jim Doughty, the general Store and Post Office is one of four such stores trading under the Keretahi Stores Ltd banner.
All are located around the central plateau of the North Island. Up the tramway (or take the road), in a separate valley, is the Mountain Timber Company's Managatepopo sawmill. A second mill, only accessible by tram or rough track, is located down Kerosine Creek.
Doughty's store site is good for the communities of the mills and the newly developing farms which rely on the store for provisions, petrol and mail.
A recent realignment of highway 47, bypassing Doughty's, has reduced the number of travellers stopping but as long as the timber mills remain, so will Jim.
This location also found favour with transport contractors Jack and Arthur Nailer, who have based their lokey's here for some years.
It's the junction of their tram to the Mountain Timber Company's sawmill and timber holdings, with the line to the 'Creek Mill' downstream.
Another tramline (which follows the road) leads to the brothers' private NZR Main Trunk siding. It's a large operation and still uses steam power although the Forest Service is keen to have them replaced with internal combustion locos.
The Nailers house most of their employees and families near here but some prefer to live 'down the siding', catching the jigger to and from work.